Now Hiring: Volunteer Specialist
Sharefest is hiring! We are looking for a new team member to fill the role of Volunteer Specialist.
The Volunteer Specialist is an important representative of Sharefest. The Volunteer Specialist’s ability to recruit and connect business and industry professionals to Sharefest programming is critical in adding depth and real-world experience for students participating in the Youth Leadership Academy curriculum. This role aligns students career interests with industry partners willing to mentor youth in specific professional industries. The Volunteer Specialist is responsible for designing a coordinated network and system for integrating project-based learning and “school to career pathways” which ignite students to their passion and purpose through organized job placement, apprenticeships, internship opportunities, college pathways, and regional collaborative service learning events that engage youth in leading positive collaborative community change.
Responsible to: VP of Programming
Volunteer Coordination – 85 percent
- Develop, recruit for, and implement innovative volunteer career based exploration events to enhance YLA curriculum and support youth program objectives and departmental needs.
- Recruit volunteers for all Sharefest programming needs, including long-term (group mentoring, alumni mentoring, internships, apprenticeships, service learning) and short-term (to participate in mock interviews, industry panel, guest speakers, post-secondary education panels, and content specific workshops. etc.) opportunities.
- Research best practices for workforce development and work with organizational mentors to grow Sharefest school to career and college bound pipelines.
- Organize and facilitate training for volunteers. Prepare codes of conduct and operating procedures that uphold the organization’s values.
- Work with corporate partners, school partners and students to manage small and large scale community events.
- Collect volunteer information, availability, and skills, and maintain an up-to-date database.
- Keep schedules and records of volunteers’ work.
- Keeping new and existing volunteers informed about the organization and volunteer opportunities.
- Matching volunteers to opportunities that suit their skills sets, and ensuring they understand their responsibilities and receive the proper training.
- Develop curriculum to support post- high school, summer, and after school skill based classes/programming to support job placement.
- Track students progress through the training and job placement phase of the workforce development plan as well as tracking them through college and into the workforce.
- Develops and implements a volunteer recognition program, ensuring volunteers are celebrated and thanked for donating their time to Sharefest.
Community Outreach and Advocacy – 15 percent
- Uses strong public speaking and writing skills and a thorough understanding of marketing tools (branding, promotion, public relations, graphics, videos, website and social media) to effectively strengthen Sharefest’s identity in the community.
- Networks with related agencies, colleges, individuals, community organizations, government agencies, foundations, and churches with shared missions and concerns as requested.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Strong skill in volunteer management, community engagement, and school to career program design for high school and post secondary students. Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Knowledge of curriculum development, including skill in differentiation, scaffolding, and assessment.
- Experience working with teens in continuation high schools, foster care or related settings.
- Knowledge of trauma-informed curriculum design is preferred.
- Knowledge and awareness of credit recovery and continuation high school system.
- Knowledge on how to build and maintain relationships.
- Attention to detail
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Is friendly and courteous to coworkers, volunteers, and others. Models a service attitude towards others, takes ownership in solving problems and takes the initiative to improve situations and make program improvements
- Works as a team player within the organization and with Sharefest partners
- Supports a total quality improvement approach to problem identification and resolution
Experience with teaching and implementing project-based learning
- Bachelor’s degree in education, public relations, volunteer management, or related field
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of workforce development and volunteer coordination experience preferably in a school to career setting
- Experience in event management
- Experience working with underserved youth
- Experience supporting classroom instruction and professional development
- Experience in classroom management
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
THINK YOU ARE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB?